6 April 2022 – Podium Analytics (“Podium”), the NGO and charity committed to reducing injury in sport, is pleased to announce that the Board of Trustees has confirmed the initial members to form a Research Strategy Advisory Board (“Advisory Board”).
The purpose of the Advisory Board will be to provide Podium with valuable and independent insight and input into the research strategy and programmes undertaken by Podium directly, by the Podium Analytics Institute for Youth Sports Medicine and Technology at the University of Oxford or Podium’s academic network, and in collaboration with National and International Governing Bodies of Sport and other key sports stakeholders.
This in turn will ensure that Podium achieves maximum impact from its research work regarding injury reduction, prevention, and treatment across children and young adults within the Podium priority sports. The Advisory Board will also provide the opportunity to engage in thought leadership and debate with peers.
The Advisory Board will be chaired by Dr Rod Jaques FFSEM (UK), FRCP, OBE. Dr Jaques was most recently the Director of Medical Services at the English Institute of Sport, and over the past 19 years has worked across all Olympic and Paralympic Sports.
The board will consist of up to 14 members, made up of Chief Medical Officers or equivalent roles from major sporting bodies, professional leagues and top medical and educational institutions, allowing Podium to continue its collaboration with leading figures across sport.
Dr Rod Jaques, Chairman of the Research Strategy Advisory Board, said: “I am honoured to have been selected to chair this board, and am thoroughly excited to work with some of the best minds across sport, medicine, and education to push forward Podium’s ambitions. If we can do anything to improve the research conducted by Podium, and thus safety across sport, then I believe we will be doing a remarkable thing.”
Ron Dennis CBE, Founder and Chairman of Podium Analytics, said: “We are delighted to have such an outstanding group of experts joining the Advisory Board in support of our work at Podium, and at such an important time in our journey as we mobilise the Podium Institute at the University of Oxford and our collaborations across sport. Individually and collectively, they bring significant insight and expertise to advise us on our mission, and I am confident that there will be substantial benefits towards the advancement of a safer sporting world.”
The full Advisory Board will consist of:
- Dr Rod Jaques FFSEM (UK), FRCP, OBE – Former Director of Medical Services – English Institute of Sport
- Dr Peter Hamlyn MBBS, BSC, MD, FRCS, FISM – Medical Director and Trustee – Podium Analytics
- Dr Charlotte Cowie MBBS, Dip Sports Med, DM-SMED, FFSEM (UK) – Chief Medical Officer – FA
- Dr Simon Kemp MA, MBBS, MRCGP, MSc (SEM), FFSEM – Medical Services Director – RFU
- Professor Nick Peirce BMedSci, BMBS, MRCOG, MSc (Sports Medicine), FISM, FSEM - Chief Medical Officer – ECB
- Dr Éanna Falvey MB, PhD, MRCPI, FFSEM, MMedSci (Sports Medicine) - Chief Medical Officer – World Rugby
- Dr Mark Gillett MBBS, MSc (Sports Med), FRCS, FRCEM, FFSEM (UK&I), DipIMC, RCSEd, PGCert MSK – Chief Medical Officer – Premier League
- Gregor Henderson MA, MSc – Former Director of Mental Health - Public Health England
- Professor Joan Duda PHD, FIAAP, FASP, FECSS - Professor of Sport and Exercise Psychology – University of Birmingham
- Dr Natasha Jones – MBBS, FFSEM, FRCP, MRCGP: President - Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine (UK)
- Dr Paul Manning – BMedSci, BM, BS, DM, FRCS - Chief Medical Officer – Circle Health Group
- Ed Fletcher – LLB, MA - Founder of Fletchers Solicitors (UK’s largest boutique serious injury lawyers)
The announcement of the Research Strategy Advisory Board and the welcoming of its distinguished members represents significant support for Podium’s mission and a multi-sport commitment to addressing the issue of sports injury in young people.